Let's take a brief look at some of the 'offers' I have recently come across
- Buying email lists. The offer usually is for a few thousand emails. The list is usually said to come from people who have opted in for more information. Problem is they didn't opt in to your email list. So why should they take your emails seriously. Or even open them at all.
- Safelists. These are lists that contain the emails of people who have joined the list. The purpose of joining the list is to have access to the email addresses of the other people on the list. Some safelists are free and others paid.
- List training material. Some list building training material is good. Really good, I used one of these training videos to get me on my feet in the email list building department. But there are some rogues out there. They promise to teach you how to explode your email list. Or how to get a large click through on your emails guaranteed. Or some other marketing hype. My concern is with this valuable training, 'how come it's being sold for $7?' And Guaranteed is one marketing buzz word that is sure to make me wary.
The honest truth is there are no short cuts to building a responsive email list. You just have to put the work in.
- Create your opt in incentive.
- Build your web page that ONLY has your opt in offer and form.
- Drive relevant traffic to that opt in form.
Takes work and time but you eventually end up with a list that does take you seriously